Having trouble viewing this? Click here.
For Immediate Release
TRAVIS COUNTY CLERK SAYS “NO” TO PAPER BALLOTS THIS NOVEMBER!
County Commissioners “Running out the Clock” for Public Hearing and Paper Ballot Hand Count Pilot; Texans for Accountable Government (TAG) Joins Hand Count Coalition! Austin, TX -
County Judge Sam Biscoe sent a correction notice to “All Interested Travis County Residents” last Tuesday, September 21st, saying that he had misunderstood the Travis County Clerk when he stated in his memo dated September 20th that the Clerk would recommend that every voter in Travis County would be able to vote on a paper ballot on Election Day this November if desired. In his correction, Judge Biscoe said that the County Clerk, Dana DeBeauvoir, had said that “the paper ballot option should be available at some point in the near future and not the General Election on November 2, 2010.”
It is important to note that the “paper ballot option” the County Clerk is referring to is a paper ballot that will be counted electronically by digital scanners, which are still counting our votes secretly, and are just as easy to hack and manipulate vote totals undetectably as the current paperless Hart eSlate machines are. It is anticipated that this recommendation will be made at Commissioners Court on October 19th when the Clerk will present her final report of the 2009 Travis County Election Study Group. (The “Report of Alternate Findings and Recommendations” is available here and at www.voterescue.org.)
The Hand Count Coalition, comprised of Gray Panthers of Austin, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) District 12, Travis County Green Party, VoteRescue, Austinites Lobbying for Municipal Accountability (ALMA), and its newest member Texans for Accountable Government (TAG), believe that the County Commissioners, as well as the Travis County Clerk, are “running out the clock” to avoid altogether redressing the serious grievances that citizens have about continuing the use of computerized voting machines in Travis County. The Coalition will be back before the Court for Citizen Communication this Tuesday, September 28th, for the fourth week in a row continuing to demand three things of the County Commissioners, and request the public to do the same:
1. A Public Hearing IMMEDIATELY on the continued use of non-transparent, security nightmare electronic voting systems in Travis County (the Hart eSlate machines) which are counting Travis County votes in total secrecy, using trade secret proprietary software;
2. Paper Ballots provided to ALL VOTERS REQUESTING THEM on Nov. 2, 2010 Election Day
If Harris County (Houston) can provide them on short order due to fewer machines available this November after the fire, why can’t Travis County?
3. A Pilot Project for hand counting paper ballots in select precincts in Travis County.
John Bush of Texans for Accountable Government (TAG) states, “The Hand Count Coalition is receiving numerous emails everyday via www.voterescue.org from Travis County citizens who are willing to hand count paper ballots on Election Day. Citizens are VERY interested in restoring transparent elections in which they can observe and know that their votes are being counted as cast!”
# # #
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two countries don’t guarantee paid maternity leave: Papua New Guinea—and the USA!
- Chicago PMI marks biggest drop since October, 2008
- Average US household worth 1/3 less, while assets of the 1% keep soaring…
- What is stray current doing to us? The utilities don’t want us asking…
- Veteran spooks call on Obama to release the evidence (if any) that the Russians did it
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- On MH17, some theories that make sense (unlike the shrill crapola we keep hearing)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.