No doubt you remember this:
WASHINGTON – The government is expected to announce on Wednesday that three-quarters of the oil from the Deepwater Horizon leak has already evaporated, dispersed, been captured or otherwise eliminated – and that much of the rest is so diluted that it does not seem to pose much additional risk of harm.
Thus the NYTimes reported on 8/5 (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/science/earth/04oil.html).
Well, here’s some news that’s far more credible, from two teams of academic scientists, one at the University of Georgia, the other at the University of South Florida.
Kudos to CNN for highlighting the latter’s work. Now let’s see if these findings resonate as loudly as that blast of propaganda from the government.
UGA report: Vast majority of Gulf oil remains
By STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS – Athens Banner-Herald
University of Georgia marine scientists say that nearly 80 percent of the oil released into Gulf of Mexico from BP’s blown out Deepwater Horizon well has not been recovered and remains a threat to the Gulf’s ecosystem.
The leaking well, which ruptured from an April 20 explosion that killed 11 workers, was sealed July 15, when BP finished closing up a cap mounted on top of the well. Reportedly, no oil has seeped out since.
Plumes of Gulf oil spreading east on sea floor
By the CNN Wire Staff
(CNN) — A new report set to be released Tuesday renews concerns about the long-term environmental impact of the Gulf Coast oil disaster, and efforts to permanently plug the ruptured BP oil well have been delayed again.
Researchers at the University of South Florida have concluded that oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill may have settled to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico further east than previously suspected — and at levels toxic to marine life.
Initial findings from a new survey of the Gulf conclude that dispersants may have sent droplets of crude to the ocean floor, where it has turned up at the bottom of an undersea canyon within 40 miles of the Florida Panhandle. The results are scheduled to be released Tuesday, but CNN obtained a summary of the initial conclusions Monday night.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.