No doubt you remember this:
WASHINGTON – The government is expected to announce on Wednesday that three-quarters of the oil from the Deepwater Horizon leak has already evaporated, dispersed, been captured or otherwise eliminated – and that much of the rest is so diluted that it does not seem to pose much additional risk of harm.
Thus the NYTimes reported on 8/5 (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/science/earth/04oil.html).
Well, here’s some news that’s far more credible, from two teams of academic scientists, one at the University of Georgia, the other at the University of South Florida.
Kudos to CNN for highlighting the latter’s work. Now let’s see if these findings resonate as loudly as that blast of propaganda from the government.
UGA report: Vast majority of Gulf oil remains
By STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS – Athens Banner-Herald
University of Georgia marine scientists say that nearly 80 percent of the oil released into Gulf of Mexico from BP’s blown out Deepwater Horizon well has not been recovered and remains a threat to the Gulf’s ecosystem.
The leaking well, which ruptured from an April 20 explosion that killed 11 workers, was sealed July 15, when BP finished closing up a cap mounted on top of the well. Reportedly, no oil has seeped out since.
Plumes of Gulf oil spreading east on sea floor
By the CNN Wire Staff
(CNN) — A new report set to be released Tuesday renews concerns about the long-term environmental impact of the Gulf Coast oil disaster, and efforts to permanently plug the ruptured BP oil well have been delayed again.
Researchers at the University of South Florida have concluded that oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill may have settled to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico further east than previously suspected — and at levels toxic to marine life.
Initial findings from a new survey of the Gulf conclude that dispersants may have sent droplets of crude to the ocean floor, where it has turned up at the bottom of an undersea canyon within 40 miles of the Florida Panhandle. The results are scheduled to be released Tuesday, but CNN obtained a summary of the initial conclusions Monday night.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.