Verizon, Google strike net-neutrality deal
By Sara Jerome
Google and Verizon’s chief executives unveiled an agreement on Monday that they said would preserve an open Internet, but that critics charged would hurt consumers by eventually making content providers pay for more advanced services.
Under the agreement, which Google CEO Eric Schmidt stressed is a “joint public announcement” and not a “deal,” large Internet companies would not be able to secure a competitive advantage by paying cable and phone companies to fast-track their content to users.
“That was a principle Google established from the beginning,” said Verizon chief executive Ivan Seidenberg, who joined Schmidt on the call.
The press conference followed reports last week that the search engine and telecommunications giants were working on a deal on how Internet service providers should treat the traffic running over their networks.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.