Virginia: Soldiers Said They Were Punished for Refusing to Attend Christian Concert
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Dozens of soldiers who refused to attend a Christian band’s concert at Fort Eustis said they were banished to their barracks and told to clean them up, and the Pentagon said Friday that it was investigating the accusation. Pvt. Anthony Smith said he and other soldiers felt pressured to attend the May concert by the Christian rock group BarlowGirl as part of the “Commanding General’s Spiritual Fitness Concerts.” Private Smith said 80 men decided not to attend. “Instead of being released to our personal time,” he said, “we were locked down. It seemed very much like a punishment.” The Military Religious Freedom Foundation said it had been approached by soldiers who said they were punished for not attending the event.
One Comment to “Troops punished for refusing to attend Christian concert”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.