This Independent article is far more candid than the one in today’s NYTimes, which plays down both the scale of the disaster (that piece, which appears on p. A13, doesn’t mention the plume’s giant dimensions) and the starkness with which these new findings contradict the US government’s
report of two weeks ago. (Not to put too fine a point on it, the new findings, from Woods Hole, expose the NOAA report as utter bullshit.)
The Times piece: “Oil Plume Is Not Breaking Down Fast, Study Says“.
And if you’re in the mood for further press analysis, check out the Wall Street Journal’s article –a front-page article–which, while not as vivid as the British piece (below), is stronger than the Times’ coverage: “Oil Plume From Spill Persists, Data Show“.
Plume of oil 650ft high found in Gulf waters
By Steve Connor
Scientists have detected a large underwater “plume” of oil from the Deepwater Horizon accident in the Gulf of Mexico last April, which spilled almost 5 million barrels of oil into the sea until the leak was successfully capped last month.
The discovery of a 650ft-high plume of hydrocarbon chemicals some 22 miles long by 1.2 miles wide, and 3,000ft below the surface of the Gulf, helps to answer the question of where the oil from the disaster has gone.
2 Comments to “That oil plume is GIGANTIC (but you wouldn’t know it from the US press)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.