This Independent article is far more candid than the one in today’s NYTimes, which plays down both the scale of the disaster (that piece, which appears on p. A13, doesn’t mention the plume’s giant dimensions) and the starkness with which these new findings contradict the US government’s
report of two weeks ago. (Not to put too fine a point on it, the new findings, from Woods Hole, expose the NOAA report as utter bullshit.)
The Times piece: “Oil Plume Is Not Breaking Down Fast, Study Says“.
And if you’re in the mood for further press analysis, check out the Wall Street Journal’s article –a front-page article–which, while not as vivid as the British piece (below), is stronger than the Times’ coverage: “Oil Plume From Spill Persists, Data Show“.
Plume of oil 650ft high found in Gulf waters
By Steve Connor
Scientists have detected a large underwater “plume” of oil from the Deepwater Horizon accident in the Gulf of Mexico last April, which spilled almost 5 million barrels of oil into the sea until the leak was successfully capped last month.
The discovery of a 650ft-high plume of hydrocarbon chemicals some 22 miles long by 1.2 miles wide, and 3,000ft below the surface of the Gulf, helps to answer the question of where the oil from the disaster has gone.
2 Comments to “That oil plume is GIGANTIC (but you wouldn’t know it from the US press)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.