Dear U.S. PIRG supporter,
You’ve probably heard by now that Google is trying to buy an E-ZPass to the information superhighway.  The deal it has made with Verizon would allow Google sites to load faster and take priority, while potentially slowing down other websites to a crawl.
The scary part is, this deal could become the precedent for future corporate deals, as well as future legislation on how the Internet works — essentially crushing the heretofore accepted notion of a free and open Internet that no one company can control.
Today, the benefits of Internet freedom — sometimes called net neutrality — are so strong as to be almost invisible to most users. Whether you want to publish a blog, or browse any kind of content whatsoever, there are no fast or slow lanes, no privileged websites or networks. And because everyone has equal access to everyone else’s content, the web has become a major source of information, innovation and democratic participation.
But deals like the one between Google and Verizon threaten all that. Suddenly companies could give corporate partners, or anyone willing and able to pay for it, special access to faster lanes on the information superhighway.
That’s not today’s Internet, and with your help, that won’t be tomorrow’s Internet either.
We need you to join our call to the FCC. Tell them to block the Google/Verizon proposal. Keep the Internet free.
P.S. Thanks for your support. Please feel free to share this e-mail with your friends and family.
 Google-Verizon Pact Proves Need for Real Net Neutrality, PC World, Aug. 11, 2010.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.