The Charges Against Maxine Waters Conflate Secretarial Tasks With “Crafting Legislation”
by David Fiderer
The “special favors” performed by Maxine Waters’ chief of staff were mundane tasks normally relegated to an administrative assistant or intern. Yet the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct inflated those actions into something more significant, namely the “crafting [of] legislation.” You have to wonder who the Committee thought it would be fooling when it drafted its Statement of Alleged Violations last June.
The Committee Statement, released on August 9, is notably different from the report prepared a year ago by the independent Office of Congressional Ethics. Both documents allege ethics violations, and both rely on sleights of hand to show violations of the rules.
As noted here earlier, the OCE report faulted Rep. Waters for requesting a meeting between senior Treasury officials and the National Bankers Association, a group of minority-owned banks. The request made to Treasury would have benefitted many NBA members, though a major beneficiary would have been OneUnited, a minority-owned bank headquartered in Boston with five branches in California, Waters’ home state.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.