Google, Verizon Web Deal Could Upend Net Neutrality
AP/Huffington Post | By JOELLE TESSLER First Posted: 08- 5-10 11:35 AM | Updated: 08- 5-10 11:35 AM
WASHINGTON — Google Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. are close to finalizing a proposal for so-called “network neutrality” rules, which would dictate how broadband providers treat Internet traffic flowing over their lines, according to a person briefed on the negotiations.
A deal could be announced within days, said the person, who did not want to be identified because negotiations are still ongoing. According to the New York Times, the agreement between Google and Verizon “could allow Verizon to speed some online content to Internet users more quickly if the content’s creators are willing to pay for the privilege.”
Under the deal, “charges could be paid by companies, like YouTube, owned by Google, for example, to Verizon, one of the nation’s leading Internet service providers, to ensure that its content received priority as it made its way to consumers,” the New York Times explains, noting that Internet users might eventually pay a higher price for service as a result.
Josh Silver – President, Free Press
Posted: August 5, 2010 09:26 AM
Google-Verizon Deal: The End of The Internet as We Know It
For years, Internet advocates have warned of the doomsday scenario that will play out on Monday: Google and Verizon will announce a deal that the New York Times reports “could allow Verizon to speed some online content to Internet users more quickly if the content’s creators are willing to pay for the privilege.”
The deal marks the beginning of the end of the Internet as you know it. Since its beginnings, the Net was a level playing field that allowed all content to move at the same speed, whether it’s ABC News or your uncle’s video blog. That’s all about to change, and the result couldn’t be more bleak for the future of the Internet, for television, radio and independent voices.
How did this happen? We have a Federal Communications Commission that has been denied authority by the courts to police the activities of Internet service providers like Verizon and Comcast. All because of a bad decision by the Bush-era FCC. We have a pro-industry FCC Chairman who is terrified of making a decision, conducting back room dealmaking, and willing to sit on his hands rather than reassert his agency’s authority.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.