‘No Precedent’ For Proposed Cuts To Food Stamp Benefits
Arthur Delaney | HuffPost Reporting
To help prevent a pair of domestic spending bills from adding to the national budget deficit, Democratic leaders in the Senate have proposed cuts to future food stamp funding, saving $14.1 billion over 10 years.
Several Democrats have said they’ll prevent the cuts — which will phase out a stimulus bill provision that increased families’ monthly food stamp payments — from ever taking effect. So are the planned cuts nothing more than an accounting gimmick to win “yes” votes from deficit hawks, or are they a serious threat to families who rely on the money to feed their children?
“I do believe [the Democrats] are sincere in not wanting these cuts to go into effect, but I’m concerned that, when the time comes, they won’t be able to find a way to put the money back,” said Elizabeth Lower-Basch, a senior policy analyst with the Center for Law and Social Policy. “There’s no precedent for this.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Words of Power
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.