So much for that White House dog-and-pony show, where Obama/Biden seemed to read the Riot Act to BP’s “hangdog” managers. That very public sitdown was just one more stroke of propaganda, meant to give us the impression that Obama’s acting in the public (not the corporate) interest.
Uh Huh – So It IS A Liability-Limiting Thing
Posted by Karl Denninger in Oil The World at 12:40
If you’re wondering why BP “agreed” to the $20 billion escrow fund, wonder no more….
In the end, one aim of the fund-and a prime reason BP agreed to it-will be to minimize lawsuits against the company. To do that, Mr. Feinberg will offer big lump-sum payments to workers and businesses as an enticement to stay out of court.
“At some point, I will have to make an offer-‘You take this amount in full satisfaction of your claim, but only if you waive your right to future litigation,'” Mr. Feinberg said. “And if I package it right, people will see that it makes no sense to fight it out in court.”
Ding ding ding ding.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.