So much for that White House dog-and-pony show, where Obama/Biden seemed to read the Riot Act to BP’s “hangdog” managers. That very public sitdown was just one more stroke of propaganda, meant to give us the impression that Obama’s acting in the public (not the corporate) interest.
Uh Huh – So It IS A Liability-Limiting Thing
Posted by Karl Denninger in Oil The World at 12:40
If you’re wondering why BP “agreed” to the $20 billion escrow fund, wonder no more….
In the end, one aim of the fund-and a prime reason BP agreed to it-will be to minimize lawsuits against the company. To do that, Mr. Feinberg will offer big lump-sum payments to workers and businesses as an enticement to stay out of court.
“At some point, I will have to make an offer-‘You take this amount in full satisfaction of your claim, but only if you waive your right to future litigation,'” Mr. Feinberg said. “And if I package it right, people will see that it makes no sense to fight it out in court.”
Ding ding ding ding.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.