The Worst Oil Spill in U.S. History, and It’s Still Business As Usual?
Secretary Salazar Needs to Close Atlantis Today, or Get Out of the Way!
June 14, 2010
“Salazar is basically rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.”
Former Interior Secretary Bruce Babbit said this of U.S. Interior Secretary Salazar today, and we’ve found it to be true. The first official response to Food & Water Watch’s request for a federal court order to shut down BP’s Atlantis oil rig has shown little has changed under Salazar’s leadership. Tell President Obama that Salazar should either close Atlantis today, or get out of the way.
We notified the Minerals Management Service over a year ago that BP Atlantis was missing 89 percent of its necessary safety documents. Even though missing documents are at the heart of many BP disasters, including the current one, MMS still refuses to close Atlantis until it can be proven safe. In an official response last week, the agency even admitted that they have done no meaningful investigation and even though we’re facing the worst oil spill in U.S. history, MMS continues to issue permits to BP for deepwater oil drilling.
The inability to close a rig that is operating without any evidence of safety, especially in light of the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe, makes us think that Secretary Salazar is serving oil interests, not the public interest. It seems to be business as usual under his leadership, despite heavy-handed rhetoric to the contrary.
President Obama should demand his resignation and find someone who will regulate the oil industry—starting with shutting down BP Atlantis until it is proven safe.
Thanks for taking action,
Food & Water Watch
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.