WatchDog Groups Launch New Campaign Urging Congress To Pass Pending Election Legislation That Will Protect Millions Of Voters And Bring Fairness And Transparency To The Upcoming Elections
Washington, DC — Protect Our Elections, www.protectourelections.org, is a new campaign to help push Congress for passage of pending national legislation meant to protect public elections and the votes of millions of Americans. The campaign, launched by a broad based coalition of organizations dedicated to fair elections and government transparency, has identified common sense federal legislation that will help ensure the fairness, security, accessibility and accuracy of elections starting with the 2010 mid-term election.
Specifically, Protect Our Elections urges passage of legislation to stop unlimited corporate purchasing of elections, unfair voter challenges and suppression, the purging of voter rolls, felon disenfranchisement, misleading election information, and draconian polling place photo ID restrictions. In addition, the campaign demands a strong, paper ballot requirement, to be fully implemented by 2012, to protect elections in time for the next presidential election and mitigate the threat from Internet voting and unverifiable electronic elections.
Initially, Protect Our Elections is demanding the passage of the DISCLOSE Act under an expedited calendar in order to mitigate the corrosive effects of the Supreme Court’s Citizen United decision allowing unlimited secret funding of elections by corporations. Next, the campaign is demanding that the other legislation be passed in order to stop the dirty tricks and disenfranchisement that have become common place over the past decade and kept millions of citizens from voting.
Protect Our Elections is using an inside/outside approach for its campaign, working directly with Congress members and urging millions of grassroots activists to contact Congress to pass this important legislation. The campaign is calling on Congressional leaders to pass the DISCLOSE Act and the remaining legislation before the summer break.
Citizens can get involved by going to the website, www.protectourelections.org, and signing the online petition. Organizations can become partners or endorsers.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.