Tell NYS DEC Commisioner Grannis:
NO DRILLING until the EPA completes its study!
We, the undersigned, join Catskill Mountainkeeper in calling on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to hold up issuance of their final SGEIS on gas drilling using hydraulic fracturing until they can study and integrate the conclusions of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)’s report on gas drilling. The EPA is commencing a comprehensive research study to investigate the potential adverse impacts of hydraulic fracturing on water quality and public health.
We commend the EPA for recognizing that their 2004 report which concluded that hydraulic fracturing did not pose a threat to drinking water, did not address many conditions that are common today such as drilling in shale, and fracturing horizontally up to a mile underground which requires five times more chemical laden fluid than vertical drilling. We regret that the incomplete 2004 report was used by the Bush administration to justify exempting hydraulic fracturing from over sight under the Safe Drinking Water Act.
We know that there is absolutely no reason to fast track the drill permitting process. Gas supplies are plentiful. The U.S. Energy Information Administrations Short-Term Energy Outlook’s forecast states that there are abundant inventories of natural gas and gas consumption is not on the rise. Given fracking’s potential to pollute our drinking water, foul our air and spoil our land and health the New York State DEC should methodically review all pertinent information before issuing its findings.
We implore you to consider the final conclusions of the EPA’s new research study before issuing the SGEIS.
Furthermore we request that you issue a second draft after you review the EPA Study so that the public can have the opportunity to comment on your findings.
One Comment to “New Yorkers: A petition against fracking!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.