Breaking: Supreme Court vacates conviction of Don Siegelman
The US Supreme Court has ruled to vacate the conviction of former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman, who was convicted of bribery charges in 2006 in a case that was widely seen as politically motivated.
The ruling was vacated in light of another recent ruling which revised the court’s opinion of an “honest services” fraud statute, a ruling that has helped former Enron CEO Jeffrey Skilling. Siegelman’s case will now be remanded to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals for a second consideration.
A second attorney, Paul Minor, who was a major donor to the Democratic Party and convicted under similar politically motivated circumstances. It’s unclear how this ruling will affect his case. Minor was represented by former Bush Solicitor General Ted Olson, who had said the “honest services” ruling last week could help his client’s efforts to have his conviction thrown out.
One Comment to “More on SCOTUS vacating Don Siegelman’s conviction…”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.