Feds Approve New Gulf Of Mexico Oil Well Near Louisiana
(AP) — Federal regulators approved Wednesday the first new Gulf of Mexico oil well since
President Barack Obama lifted a brief ban on drilling in shallow water, even while deepwater
projects remain frozen after the massive BP spill.
The Minerals Management Service granted a new drilling permit sought by Bandon Oil and
Gas for a site about 50 miles off the coast of Louisiana and 115 feet below the ocean’s surface.
It’s south of Rockefeller State Wildlife Refuge and Game Preserve, far to the west of the
Deepwater Horizon oil rig that triggered the BP spill.
Obama last week extended a moratorium on wells in deep water like the BP one that blew out
a mile below the surface in April and is gushing millions of gallons of oil. But at the same time,
the president quietly allowed a three-week-old ban on drilling in shallow water to expire.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.