Was it a Non-Violent Flotilla or Intentionally Violent, Even Military Action?
By Rob Kall
I’ve been accustomed to seeing activists using the non-violent approaches of Ghandi and ML King to bring change to Gaza. I thought the Gaza Freedom Flotilla was one of those peaceful efforts. Rachel Corrie died hewing to those precepts. Her death has special meaning because she was engaging in non-violent protest.
Now I’m having some doubts. I have yet to speak to or hear from any of the people who
were on the flotilla, but a May 25th press release of the Free Gaza Team, which was one of the leading organizations of the flotilla stated, “”However, we will non-violently resist Israeli attempts to seize our boats.”
Non-violence is not easy in the face of police or military actions. It requires strong intention, strong group discipline and, often, significant training and preparation.
2 Comments to “A failure–or betrayal–of non-violence on the flotilla?”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.