Assuming we survive it, this vast calamity could do some good–could even help to save the planet–if it finally moves us to restrain the corporate monsters that are wreaking havoc everywhere.
This necessary fight must start by our asserting that these bloated and amoral scavengers are not persons, and so can’t enjoy the rights of persons under any civic charter–which, of course, includes our Constitution.
They are surely not what Jefferson, Adams, Madison or Franklin ever had in mind when they conceived of the United States as a republic. As they, by definition, are not persons, they cannot be citizens; nor, as purely profit-seeking, supra-national entities, are they remotely capable of civic virtue, but only of manipulating everything around them to empower and enrich themselves. Thus, if they were persons, they would be the type that stands out as too dangerous to be at large: criminal sociopaths, who have to be restrained, or we all suffer at their hands.
The horror in the Gulf, then, means that we must now take steps more radical by far than a mere moratorium on off-shore drilling. What it means is that we must now break down that inhuman network over us–not just the oil and petrochemical cartels, but also those in banking, agribusiness, telecom and media, “defense” and all the rest (including Wal-Mart).
An Unnatural Disaster
By BOB HERBERT
“Where I was wrong,” said President Obama at his press conference on Thursday, “was in my belief that the oil companies had their act together when it came to worst-case scenarios.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.