Senator: Liability bill covers Gulf Coast spill
By MATTHEW DALY
The Associated Press
Tuesday, May 4, 2010; 1:45 PM
WASHINGTON — A Democratic senator says legislation to raise the liability limit for the Gulf
Coast oil spill can apply retroactively.
Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey is co-sponsoring a measure to raise to $10 billion the liability BP PLC has to pay for damages such as lost wages and economic suffering in the Gulf Coast spill. The current liability limit is $75 million, an amount Menendez called a “drop in the bucket.”
Menendez said Tuesday he was confident that the measure could apply retroactively. He cited the Superfund law that forced companies to pay for previously polluted hazardous waste sites.
One Comment to “Sen. Menendez calls for raising BP’s liability to $10 billion”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.