Senator: Liability bill covers Gulf Coast spill
By MATTHEW DALY
The Associated Press
Tuesday, May 4, 2010; 1:45 PM
WASHINGTON — A Democratic senator says legislation to raise the liability limit for the Gulf
Coast oil spill can apply retroactively.
Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey is co-sponsoring a measure to raise to $10 billion the liability BP PLC has to pay for damages such as lost wages and economic suffering in the Gulf Coast spill. The current liability limit is $75 million, an amount Menendez called a “drop in the bucket.”
Menendez said Tuesday he was confident that the measure could apply retroactively. He cited the Superfund law that forced companies to pay for previously polluted hazardous waste sites.
One Comment to “Sen. Menendez calls for raising BP’s liability to $10 billion”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.