May 25, 2010
For Immediate Release
Contact: Theodore Olson, (202) 955-8500
[Court Filing Attached]
Former Biloxi attorney Paul Minor has filed an appeal of his 2007 conviction with the U.S. Supreme Court. The attached document was filed by Minor’s attorney, former United States Solicitor General Theodore B. Olson-one of the Nation’s premier appellate attorneys and Supreme Court advocates.
Imprisoned since 2006, Mississippi attorney Paul Minor was one of America’s top trial lawyers
when he was convicted in 2007. The prosecution of Minor garnered national attention in 2007
after the United States House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary detailed the Minor prosecution in public hearings and its final report on selective prosecution within the United States Department of Justice. Earlier this year, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals overturned several of Minor’s convictions; his remaining convictions are premised on the “Honest Services” statute-a provision that has been widely criticized as ambiguous and potentially unconstitutional.
Mr. Olson stated, “The open-ended and unclear language of the ‘Honest Services’ statute is inconsistent with the fundamental principle that the public must be able to understand what a
criminal law means. Mr. Minor will ask the Supreme Court to make clear that the vague language
of the ‘Honest Services’ statute cannot be used to criminalize lawful campaign contributions.”
The Minor case raises First Amendment free speech issues concerning campaign contributions
that are similar to the First Amendment issues addressed by the Supreme Court in the Citizens
United decision handed down earlier this year. Mr. Olson and his firm briefed and argued that
case in the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Olson has argued 56 cases in the Supreme Court, including Bush v. Palm Beach County Canvassing Board and Bush v. Gore, stemming from the 2000 presidential election, and has prevailed in over 75% of those arguments.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.