Mexico not worried about Obama campaign pledge to renegotiate NAFTA
By Alec MacGillis
Remember when Barack Obama vowed to voters in the industrial Midwest that he would renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement to make it more advantageous to U.S. workers? His promise, made to appeal to Democratic primary voters in his battle with Hillary Clinton, set off alarm bells among free-trade advocates, worried that he would yank the country toward protectionism.
Well, our neighbors to our south aren’t exactly quaking in their boots about Obama following through on that pledge. In fact, they never put much stock in his promise to begin with, Mexican labor minister Javier Lozano Alarcón said in an interview during a diplomatic visit to Washington.
“We understand that during a campaign a lot of groups and unions present their demands and petitions and complaints, and that as a part of the campaign [Obama] has to listen to everyone and be sensitive to all this,” said Lozano, who was in town late last week in advance of Mexican President Felipe Calderón’s two-day state visit this week.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.