Small wonder that BP, for weeks, “refused to share” its footage of the leak, engaging in “a tug war … over images that [it] did not want the public to see.” Because the health of the environment–that is, the very survival of our planet–matters far less to BP than its own corporate image, its bosses nixed releasing any images of what was really going on deep in the Gulf, even though it could have helped the situation:
Eric Smith, a professor at Tulane University’s Energy Institute said that footage could help in making independent assessments of the scope of the spill. But it also could do public relations damage to BP. It has remained closely guarded and cannot be made public under the argument that it is “proprietary,” according to Coast Guard officials who have received repeated requests to release the images.
See “After Oil Rig Blast, BP Refused to Share Underwater Spill Footage,” an ABC News story at http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/bp-oil-spill-oil-rig-blast-bp-refused/story?id=10624972, before you read the piece below; and then consider what it means that this could happen, and what we ought to do about such lethal corporate power.
Leak spewing 5 to 10 times the oil once estimated
Earlier in the week we noted that some experts believed that the amount of oil spewing out of the busted
BP well in the Gulf of Mexico was far greater than early estimates indicated.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.