9th Circuit blocks enforcement of campaign limits
A federal appeals court has granted the Republican Party of San Diego’s request to block enforcement of a city ordinance restricting campaign contributions by political parties in the June 8 primary elections.
The Republican Party of San Diego, along with several other plaintiffs, brought a lawsuit challenging five provisions of the city of San Diego’s campaign finance ordinance that they claimed violate the First Amendment. The case has attracted amicus briefs from the local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, which supports the plaintiffs, and Common Cause, which backed the city.
U.S. District Judge Irma Gonzalez of the Southern District of California granted a preliminary injunction on Feb. 16 blocking the city from enforcing parts of the ordinance, including a prohibition on candidates accepting contributions from political parties. However, the judge stayed the injunction to give the city time to redraft that part of the ordinance.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.