The Identity Theft Threat From Copiers
By JENNIFER SARANOW SCHULTZ
The threat of copier-related identity theft suggests that consumers should ask certain questions before copying sensitive information on public copiers.
While it’s common knowledge that leaving sensitive personal information in trash bins or on computers raises the risk of identity theft, many consumers may not be aware that copying sensitive information on certain copy machines could also put them at risk.
Last month, CBS News highlighted the identity theft threat from copiers in an investigative report “Copy Machines, a Security Risk?”
In the CBS report, which we learned about from the Beyond Paycheck to Paycheck blog, the correspondent, Armen Keteyian, noted that many copiers contained hard drives filled with images of every document they’d ever copied. Often, owners don’t wipe these hard drives clean before selling the machines.
One Comment to “Copiers pose danger of identity theft”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.