To form a heartening visual backdrop for Obama’s oil-spill photo-op, BP bused in those workers who appeared to be there “cleaning up”–then bused them right back out again.
This is an uncanny repeat of the moment when George W. Bush (finally) showed up in New Orleans after Katrina, to make his Reassuring Statement for the global audience.
When his advance team came in to set up the lights and podium, etc., the residents of that ravaged neighborhood mistakenly assumed that BushCo’s operatives had brought their powerful generator there to help rebuild the place. But they were only there to do that big of presidential theater, and split immediately after it was over.
Anderson Cooper did a long report about BP/Obama’s dog-and-pony show:
And here’s an email from Debbie Fleming Caffery, who took this picture of the BP workers on the school bus requisitioned by the company. Please read her email to the end.
From Debbie Fleming Caffery:
My dear friends,
I know all of you are watching the Gulf Oil Spill disaster.
From what I can tell, the President did not see the marshes where the oil is pouring in. He went to a fairly clean beach with a few tarballs on it, with a staged scene of a clean-up crew that were bused in by BP. They were wearing straw hats with a band of the American flag. (Anderson Cooper also talked about this.)
For taking a photo of a Hallibuton sign, I had my license taken down, and my press info, by a guard who was with a US Army officer.
I moved back to Louisiana a month ago. I have to say my homesickness had gotten severe the last few years.
I am asking everyone to please help my state once again. I think the best way at this point is to write the President and all of your public officials, and stand up for Freedom of the Press.
The press which is being controlled by BP, and the Coast Guard is tangled up in it!
Debbie Fleming Caffery
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.