The piece below came out in late June, 2008. Read it, then reread this one from yesterday–
One has to wonder why Obama’s so intent on handing off the nation’s public housing to
commercial players, especially when a similar program worked so badly–for the tenants
–in Chicago. Why does he refuse to see the problems?
Which is another way of asking, Who is this guy? He damn sure isn’t a progressive (much
less a socialist, as the tea-heads keep on screaming). Is it just that he’s excessively beholden
to a few bad apples in his circle, as the activist who’s quoted toward the end of the below
seemed to believe? (“I’m not against Barack Obama. What I am against is some of the people
around him”–as if their being “around him” wasn’t his decision; and as if he didn’t
know what they were doing.)
It is a question that pertains not only to this single issue, but to Obama’s rightist moves across
the board. And we had better try to answer it with eyes wide open, instead of ducking it,
then cutting him more slack. For if we keep refusing to perceive exactly what he’s doing,
and where he’s really coming from, we’ll end up in the same boat that Bush/Cheney left us in,
except that we won’t know it, and so won’t try to plug its leaks, repair its sails-or ever
seize control of it, so as to chart, at last, a whole new course.
Grim proving ground for Obama’s housing policy
The candidate endorsed subsidies for private entrepreneurs to build low-income units. But, while he garnered support from developers, many projects in his former district have fallen into disrepair.
By Binyamin Appelbaum, Globe Staff | June 27, 2008
CHICAGO – The squat brick buildings of Grove Parc Plaza, in a dense neighborhood that Barack Obama represented for eight years as a state senator, hold 504 apartments subsidized by the federal government
for people who can’t afford to live anywhere else.
But it’s not safe to live here.
One Comment to “Background to Obama’s plan to privatize US public housing”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.