As the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig continues to spill over 1 million gallons of oil into the Gulf every day, Republicans are demanding less regulation for companies like BP and Transocean while also looking for a taxpayer-funded bailout of BP.1 Yeah, I’m serious.
After a month of oil spewing into the Gulf, the cost of cleaning up BP’s mess is $542 million and counting. But a group of Republican senators led by Lisa Murkowski of Alaska want the company to pay for only the first five days of the cleanup and put taxpayers on the hook for everything else.2
We need to tell Murkowski and her Senate colleagues that this is not OK. Can yousend a message to your senators that it’s time to end offshore drilling and focus on clean energy instead?
First, they wanted less regulation for Wall Street and the banks (look where that got us). Now, they want to do the same for oil companies. It’s outrageous. We need oversight that protects our communities and environment — not another taxpayer-funded bailout of the oil companies.
Congress needs another wake-up call to remind them that we’re watching. Congress can’t continue to let corporate America avoid responsibility and then bail them out when they can’t clean up their own mistakes.Tell your senators to say no to the BP bailout and to focus on clean energy solutions instead.
TrueMajority / USAction
2 – reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6412H820100502
3 – washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/10/AR2010051004664.html
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.