Why we need ACORN
The group, once a top anti-poverty organization, fought to empower those whose interests and needs get short shrift.
By Frances Fox Piven and Lorraine C. Minnite
This is a eulogy for ACORN as we knew it. Our premier anti-
poverty organization has been forced into a massive
reorganization, and its future is unclear. If we care about
democracy, we should study the story of what happened to
ACORN, or the Assn. of Community Organizations for Reform
Now. It is true that in its rush to recruit people and build
its organization, ACORN was sometimes sloppy and should have
supervised its people more closely. But those faults could
have been corrected and ACORN’s singular contributions to
our polity sustained.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.