Because UBS and Pres. Obama are as tight as ticks.
So let’s wish Bradley Birkenfeld the best of luck as he seeks presidential clemency, because he’s really going to need it.
A jailed banker explains why banks still run the world
By Joe Conason
With Senate approval of crucial banking reform legislation increasingly in doubt, it is all too clear that the felonies and blunders of the world’s financiers have done nothing to reduce their political domination. Even UBS, the Swiss banking giant that pleaded guilty last year to abetting tax evasion and paid a $780 million fine, can still put in the fix, according to Bradley Birkenfeld, the former UBS banker who helped to expose the tax-avoidance scheme. In recent interviews with the New York Daily News and Reuters, Birkenfeld claimed that U.S. political figures are among secret UBS clients whose names were supposed to be turned over to IRS and Justice authorities in a settlement of federal charges against the bank last year. He says that’s why he is the only UBS employee currently doing time in an American prison, although he has assisted the U.S. government in recovering billions of dollars from crooked UBS clients — of whom thousands came forward last year under an IRS amnesty program.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Media Matters
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.