Some voters will find GOP insert in sample ballot
San Diego Union-Tribune ^ | April 24, 2010 | Craig Gustafson
Some county voters may be surprised next month when they receive sample ballots for the June 8 election and discover a shiny, one-page solicitation from the local Republican Party touting its preferred candidates.
The partisan insert tucked inside official ballot materials has been the subject of an unsuccessful legal challenge and has rankled Democrats who say it goes beyond what’s allowed under an obscure state law.
It also raises the question of whether the county registrar of voters should, in essence, be subsidizing the cost of mailing a party’s list of endorsed candidates and ballot measures.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.