> From Jeanne Theoharis:
Fahad Hashmi took a government plea bargain. He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy
for allowing an acquaintance to store waterproof socks, ponchos and raincoats in his apartment.
The government dropped the other three charges.
Fahad made this decision after having served 3 long years in solitary confinement under SAMs
[Special Administrative Measures] and one day after Judge Preska approved the government’s
recent request for an anonymous jury with extra security measures.
In addition to the use of secret evidence and indefinite solitary confinement, the move to have an anonymous jury raised already heightened concerns as to whether a fair trial was even possible
in Fahad’s case. With sentencing scheduled for June 7, Fahad faces a maximum of 15 years, as
opposed to the 70 years he might have faced if he had been convicted on all 4 counts. With time already served (4 years total) and considerations for good behavior, Fahad could be out in less
than 10 years.
(It is of note that on the eve of the trial the government was willing to shave 55 years off the
Today’s decision does not in any way detract from the importance of the work we have been
doing and the civil rights issues that Fahad’s case has raised. The government’s use of Special Administrative Measures and the attacks on due process in “terrorism” cases like Fahad’s
continue to cast a pall on the US justice system.
For that reason, we plan to hold our usual vigil on Monday night outside the Metropolitan Correctional Center: http://www.thawaction.org/. We hope you will spread the word and
Thank you for your steadfast commitment to these crucial civil liberties issues.
Educators for Civil Liberties
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.