Thom Hartmann’s Update and Expanded Edition of
Includes discussion of the infamous January 2010 Supreme Court Citizens United case allowing “corporate personhood” to more easily buy elections.
Especially Autographed for BuzzFlash Readers by Thom Hartmann for a limited time.
Released on May 14, 2010
The Rise of Corporate Dominance and
the Theft of Human Rights
* By America’s most popular progressive radio host
* Updated throughout, including analysis of recent critical Supreme Court decisions
* Reveals how corporations achieved their current near-imperial status and what we can do to change it
Unequal taxes, unequal accountability for crime, unequal influence, unequal control of the media, unequal access to natural resources-corporations have gained these privileges and more by exploiting their legal status as persons and by winning special protections that enable them to avoid the responsibilities that come with these rights. How did something so illogical and unjust become the law of the land? Is there a way for American citizens to recover democracy of, by, and for the people? Thom Hartmann takes on these difficult questions and tells a startling story that will forever change your understanding of American history.
Americans have been struggling with the role of corporations since before the birth of the republic. Hartmann uncovers evidence that the Boston Tea Party was actually a protest against actions of the East India Company-the world’s first modern corporation-making it the great-great-granddaddy of today’s World Trade Organization protests. But eventually the corporations won. Hartmann tells the astonishing story of how an offhand comment by a Supreme Court justice led to the Fourteenth Amendment-originally passed to grant basic rights to freed slaves-becoming the justification for changing the status of corporations from “artificial persons” with limited rights to persons entitled to the same rights granted to human beings.
Unequal Protection details the deeply destructive results. Corporations now enjoy extraordinary privileges that make them virtually independent kingdoms. This new feudalism is not what our founders intended. Hartmann proposes specific legal remedies that could truly save the world from political, economic, and ecological disaster. It’s time for “we, the people” to take back our lives.
With huge corporations now benefiting from massive taxpayer-funded bailouts, Hartmann’s hard-hitting critique of corporate personhood is more timely than ever. This new edition has been thoroughly updated and features Hartmann’s analysis of two recent critical Supreme Court corporate speech cases.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.