You don’t know Orwellian until you know Frank Luntz
The guy who told the GOP to brand financial reform a “bailout”? Every word he speaks seems to be a lie
BY GABRIEL WINANT
Frank Luntz in 2009.
Fools these days just fling around the word “Orwellian” like it doesn’t mean anything. Please,
guys. Despite what some people would have you think, not everyone out there is some budding totalitarian. Let’s try to keep the word meaningful and useful for later.
But that doesn’t mean we can never take note of modern practitioners of Newspeak. I’m thinking here of pollster and GOP image guru Frank Luntz. If we’re holding on to “Orwellian” for when we really need it, well, this guy represents a downright special occasion, so let’s splurge.
It was Luntz who suggested, in a now-infamous memo, that Republicans mask their assiduous service of Wall Street in the fight over financial reform by accusing the Democrats of assiduously serving Wall Street. The ceaseless claims that the proposed bill would authorize a new “bailout” come directly from Luntz’s playbook. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, for example, warned, “We cannot allow endless taxpayer-funded bailouts for big Wall Street banks.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.