The rise of “Bishop Sal” is even more appalling than this article suggests, since Prop 8 didn’t really pass, according to the latest, and most scrupulous, examination of the evidence:
Would that fact bother Bishop Sal? Probably not, for all of his self-righteous guff about Prop 8’s vindication of “the dominant culture.”
And shouldn’t the East Bay Express pay some attention to the evidence that Prop 8 was rejected at the polls? Or do its editors prefer to feel embattled–and self-righteous, too?
The Father of Proposition 8
Meet Oakland Bishop Salvatore Cordileone, the apostle of the movement to deprive gay men and lesbians of the right to marry.
By Chris Thompson
Proposition 8, the California constitutional amendment that deprived gay men and women of the right to marry one another, was perhaps the ugliest and most divisive electoral moment since Proposition 187, which denied illegal immigrant children access to health care and public education. All across the state, gay men, lesbians, and their friends picketed hostile churches and boycotted businesses that backed the amendment. And as they contemplated their fate, they asked themselves: Who did this to us? Was it the Mormons? The National Organization for Marriage? Black voters? White evangelical megachurches?
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.