“The Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests … to spend without limit in our elections.” – President Obama’s response to Citizens United in his January State of the Union address.
As we saw again this week, the stakes could not be higher: It has been revealed that the balance of Wall Street political contributions has recently swung to those who have been stalling debate on financial reform in the U.S. Senate.  There is already too much money in politics, and with the Court’s recent decision, it could go from bad to worse.
The Schumer-Van Hollen bill is good stuff: It includes bans on campaign spending from federal contractors, foreign-owned corporations or those that receive taxpayer-funded bailouts. And it requires disclosure of all campaign spending, so voters can judge the credibility of political ads run by Goldman Sachs or ExxonMobil.
If we don’t pass this bill, we can expect a flood of corporate money in the upcoming elections. In a 5-4 divided decision the Supreme Court gave corporations the rights of a person, and then used that notion to allow unlimited corporate contributions to the political committees that buy most of the ads that inundate us at election time.
And it’s dangerous. With your help, we’ll be able to fight back.
We know we can win because most Americans agree with you and me, and staunchly disagree with this ruling. In a Washington Post-ABC poll, 8 in 10 respondents said they oppose the high court’s decision, and nearly as many back congressional action to curb the ruling. 
Your donations will give our advocates and organizers the resources they need to:
* Meet with Congressional leaders in D.C. and back in their districts to make sure they are hearing their constituents’ support.
* Set up phone banks in a dozen cities to flood key legislators with phone calls from constituents.
* Push to strengthen the bill by including Rep. Mike Capuano’s (Mass.) Shareholder Protection Act,  which will give investors a say in how their money is spent in politics.
The bills must then pass the Senate by July 4, and that’s not very much time.
Personally, I am motivated by this issue because the very integrity of our democracy is at stake, and I hope you join me in fighting the Supreme Court’s bad decision. Click below to give an urgent $25 gift to pass these bills through the House by Memorial Day.
If enough of us kick in a small contribution of $25 or more, we can prevent corporations from writing million-dollar campaign checks to corrupt our democracy.
Thanks for all your help.
 Wall Street Rules Help GOP Fill Campaign Coffers, Washington Wire, Apr. 27, 2010.
 Poll: Large majority opposes Supreme Court’s decision on campaign financing, Washington Post, Feb. 17, 2010.
 Washington, D.C.: New Legislation Would Protect Shareholders Rights, U.S. PIRG, Mar. 11, 2010.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.