In my recent item re: the Martin Luther King Records Act, I mentioned the CIA’s resistance to the lawsuit over their refusal to release all records pertinent to JFK’s assassination. I said that the Agency was fighting “tooth and nail” against that effort.
Well, it turns out I was wrong–because the CIA had lately won its case when I sent out that email:
Judge Richard Leon of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia has found for the CIA in journalist Jefferson Morley’s quest for records about former CIA employee George Joannides. The case was before the court after it had previously been remanded by the D.C. Court of Appeals in 2008.
The court found that the CIA had properly searched for records after the remand of the case and also approved of the withholdings made pursuant to FOIA exemptions 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 as well as the use of glomar for other records. Morley did receive a number of documents upon the remand search, but he sought more in opposing the CIA’s motion for summary judgment.
It is likely that Morley will appeal this decision.
The decision can be found here: Download Morley: http://thefoiablog.typepad.com/files/morley.pdf
Now, if I didn’t have a friend who happens to be up on all of this, I never would have known about this legal victory by the Agency–whose efforts to suppress the truth succeed so well because our “free press” so obligingly ignores them.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- Barry Gordon
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.