In my recent item re: the Martin Luther King Records Act, I mentioned the CIA’s resistance to the lawsuit over their refusal to release all records pertinent to JFK’s assassination. I said that the Agency was fighting “tooth and nail” against that effort.
Well, it turns out I was wrong–because the CIA had lately won its case when I sent out that email:
Judge Richard Leon of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia has found for the CIA in journalist Jefferson Morley’s quest for records about former CIA employee George Joannides. The case was before the court after it had previously been remanded by the D.C. Court of Appeals in 2008.
The court found that the CIA had properly searched for records after the remand of the case and also approved of the withholdings made pursuant to FOIA exemptions 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 as well as the use of glomar for other records. Morley did receive a number of documents upon the remand search, but he sought more in opposing the CIA’s motion for summary judgment.
It is likely that Morley will appeal this decision.
The decision can be found here: Download Morley: http://thefoiablog.typepad.com/files/morley.pdf
Now, if I didn’t have a friend who happens to be up on all of this, I never would have known about this legal victory by the Agency–whose efforts to suppress the truth succeed so well because our “free press” so obligingly ignores them.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.