This is like what happened to those miners in West Virginia–Massey Energy (i.e., Don Blankenship) having long “fought off,” or just ignored, safety requirements to protect his workers.
It’s also further evidence that the long attack on unions, started by the Great Communicator and variously maintained ever since, has frequent–indeed, routine–lethal consequences.
Here’s an eye-opening website on the problem: http://16deathsperday.com/.
Sixteen deaths a day among the workers in this country! And what with news like this (below), one wonders if it isn’t even more.
Big Oil Fought Off New Safety Rules Before Rig Explosion
Scroll down to see the proposed safety regulations and BP’s objection
As families mourn the 11 workers thrown overboard in the worst oil rig disaster in decades and as the resulting spill continues to spread through the Gulf of Mexico, new questions are being raised about the training of the drill operators and about the oil company’s commitment to safety.
Deepwater Horizon, the giant technically-advanced rig which exploded on April 20 and sank two days later, is leaking an estimated 42,000 gallons per day through a pipe about 5,000 feet below the surface. The spill has spread across 1,800 square miles — an area larger than Rhode Island — according to satellite images, oozing its way toward the Louisiana coast and posing a threat to wildlife, including a sperm whale spotted in the oil sheen.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.