From Jeanne Theoharis:
After Fahad Hashmi has spent nearly three years in solitary confinement, the case will finally go to trial on Wednesday April 28. Over the past two and a half years, we have built a movement to draw attention to the rights violations happening in his case and within the federal system as part of the War on Terror. Just in the past few weeks, two more great pieces have been published calling attention to these domestic rights abuses: Bill Quigley’s “Not Just Guantanamo” (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-quigley/not-just-guantanamo-us-to_b_524226.html) and William Fisher’s “Feel Safer Now?” (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-fisher/feel-safer-now_b_526675.html).
But we need your help more than ever in the coming weeks to help focus public attention as the case goes to trial. Things you can do:
> Attend a community meeting to prepare for the trial: Monday April 19 at 6:30 at the Center for Constitutional Rights, 666 Broadway, New York, NY.
> Join us for an important vigil on April 26. Two days before the trial begins, we will gather once again outside of MCC where Hashmi is being held to draw attention to the inhumane conditions of his confinement over the past three years. The vigil takes place from 6-7 outside MCC, 150 Park Row, in lower Manhattan.
> Come to the trial. Jury selection in the case begins Wednesday April 28 at 9:00 in Judge Preska’s court at 500 Pearl Street. We expect opening arguments to begin Thursday afternoon or Friday morning and the trial to last 2-3 weeks. Please come for at least one day of trial and join the grassroots effort “500@500” to keep the courtroom full. Please circulate and post the attached flyer.
> Send an email to Attorney General Holder to show him we are watching this case and ask him to uphold Hashmi’s rights: http://www.educatorsforcivilliberties.org/liftthesam.html
Thank you for your continued commitment to these issues.
Educators for Civil Liberties
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.