Diary of a Wimpy Health Care Bill
By Rose Ann DeMoro
California Nurses Association
Passage of President Obama’s healthcare bill proves that Congress can enact comprehensive social legislation in the face of virulent rightwing opposition. Now that we have an insurance bill, can we move on to healthcare reform?
As an organization of registered nurses, we have an obligation to provide an honest assessment, as nurses must do every hour of every day. The legislation fails to deliver on the promise of a single standard of excellence in care for all and instead makes piecemeal adjustments to the current privatized, for-profit healthcare behemoth.
When all the boasts fade, comparing the bill to Social Security and Medicare, probably intended to mollify liberal supporters following repeated concessions to the healthcare industry and conservative Democrats, a sobering reality will probably set in.
Pro-single-payer doctors: Health bill leaves 23 million uninsured
A false promise of reform
As much as we would like to join the celebration of the House’s
passage of the health bill last night, in good conscience we cannot.
We take no comfort in seeing aspirin dispensed for the treatment of
Instead of eliminating the root of the problem — the profit-driven,
private health insurance industry — this costly new legislation will
enrich and further entrench these firms. The bill would require
millions of Americans to buy private insurers’ defective products, and
turn over to them vast amounts of public money.
The hype surrounding the new health bill is belied by the facts:
* About 23 million people will remain uninsured nine years out.
That figure translates into an estimated 23,000 unnecessary deaths
annually and an incalculable toll of suffering.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.