On March 8, the WashPost ran an editorial (see below) attacking Yukihisa Fujita, a
member of the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ), for his views on 9/11–views
“too half-baked, bizarre and intellectually bogus to merit serious discussion,” etc.
The piece casts Fujita as a member of “the lunatic fringe,” refers to him as “reckless
and fact-averse,” and hints strongly that Fujita’s party (which is currently in power)
ought to shut him up, or purge him, for the sake of “the U.S.-Japan alliance.”
That piece, it turns out, is a hatchet job. First of all, it radically misrepresents Fujita’s
views on 9/11: he has never called it a conspiracy, nor does he believe that controlled
demolition brought down the Twin Towers. All he’s said is that there ought to be a new
investigation of what happened on that day.
And, more shocking still, it turns out that Fujita was deliberately set up, as Lee Hockster,
editorial writer for the Post, arranged and carried out the interview under false pretenses.
Below is Fujita’s statement on the whole experience. It makes quite clear that the Post’s
editorial was not only a hatchet job, but a deliberate sting.
In short, this “editorial” was not a frank expression of legitimate opinion, but a stroke
of outright propaganda–one more volley in the vast campaign to shut down any
and all questions about 9/11 (and whatever other scandals we are not permitted even
to acknowledge, much less study honestly).
Comment on Circumstances of Washington Post Editorial Dated Mar 8, 2010
Member of the House of Councillors
Office Tel: 3508-8205
At 10:30 am on March 3, 2010, Lee Hockstader, Editorial Writer for the Washington Post, visited myself (Yukihisa Fujita, member of the House of Councillors, and Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) International Department Director General) having made an interview request on the subject of “Japan’s stance on and shifting attitudes toward immigration” via the Foreign Press Center, Japan. (original interview request and questions in Japanese available on request)
1. The requested interview time of one hour was spent discussing the current situation relating to Japan’s response to immigration and my opinions on this issue. During the interview Hockstader typed my comments into his laptop computer, as he had requested. However, once the one hour interview had ended and Hockstader had closed his laptop, he mentioned as an aside that he had noticed from my resume that I had raised the issue of the 9/11 terror attacks in a Diet committee,
and asked whether I had some doubts about this issue. In response, I explained the circumstances that led me to become involved in the 9/11 issue and pointed out a number of points that still remained unexplained about the events of that day.
2. In other words, after answering questions on the agreed upon theme for around one hour, I naturally responded to this question as being separate from the interview itself.
3. Ms. Fukasawa of the Foreign Press Center, Japan also attended the interview (DPJ International Department Manager Ms. Uchida and Deputy Manager Ms. Burnicle were also in attendance), and she confirmed that during his visit to Japan, Hockstader did not conduct interviews on any other subject than immigration. (following the interview, I received a letter of thanks from Foreign Press Center, Japan President Terusuke Terada). The entire interview was recorded and I intend to disclose the content of the entire interview in due course.
4. As stated in 1. above, this was an informal chat regarding 9/11 following the actual interview itself. At no point did I draw the conclusion that 9/11 was a conspiracy, and I clearly stated that the collapse of the Twin Towers could not be judged to be a result of a controlled demolition. Rather, I stated I had made my speech in the Diet from the stance that it was necessary to investigate the origins of the “War on Terror” from the perspective of assisting the relatives of the victims of 9/11, and in relation to the war in Afghanistan and the provision of humanitarian assistance.
5. Furthermore, I have many American friends from various walks of life, and have worked for many years to serve as a bridge between Japan and the United States, including by providing assistance to former US POWs held captive by Japan.
6. I currently serve as Director of the Research Committee on International Affairs and Global Warming Issues in the House of Councillors, but I was introduced in the article as “the head of the Research Committee on Foreign Affairs”. Moreover, the article describes me as “a Brahmin in the foreign policy establishment” of Japan, while in fact, as Director General of the Democratic Party of Japan’s International Department, I am not involved in policy matters. I find it totally regrettable that this kind of biased article should be published in the Washington Post.
A leading Japanese politician espouses a 9/11 fantasy
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.