Has Rahm’s Assumption about Progressives been Vindicated?
by Glenn Greenwald
Politico’s Ben Smith yesterday suggested that one important aspect of Rahm Emanuel’s health care strategy — to ignore the demands of progressives on the ground that they would fall into line at the end no matter what — has been vindicated. Smith points to a new poll showing near-unanimous support for the bill among liberals as well as the fact that not a single progressive member of the House (not even Dennis Kucinich) will oppose this bill even though the prime progressive objections were ignored. Smith’s argument unsurprisingly provoked immediate objections from numerous progressives — Paul Krugman, Markos Moultisas, Chris Bowers — who argue that in the wake of Scott Brown’s election, Emanuel advocated a drastically scaled-back version of health care reform because he believed the original, larger version couldn’t pass. If (as looks highly likely) the current bill passes, then, they argue, Emanuel will have been proven wrong — not indicated.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.