I sent this review out when it first appeared in January; and I’m sending it again to help
promote Janine Wedel’s talk about her new book, Shadow Elite, this Monday evening
(3/22), at the McNally Jackson Bookstore here in NYC.
The store is at 52 Prince St., between Lafayette and Mulberry. Prof. Wedel’s talk will
start at 7:00 p.m. (and, as usual, I’ll be there to moderate the discussion).
‘Shadow Elite’: War And The Deadly Privatization Of Public Power
Lawrence B. Wilkerson
Colonel, U.S. Army (Retired)
Posted: January 19, 2010 12:07 PM
One of the principal emphases of Janine Wedel’s excellent new book, “Shadow Elite”, is the privatization of power. In some respects, that’s a strange turn of phrase.
After all, throughout modern history, the forces of capitalism have wielded privatized power–creating people and corporations with a great deal of influence. And today, some of the most massive accretions of power are indisputably private. Think ExxonMobil and the price of a barrel of oil; General Electric and the now irreversible pollution of the Hudson River; or Goldman-Sachs and the recent Wall Street failures and subsequent bailouts.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.