Looks like we’re between a rock and a hard place–“the hard place” being the
proto-fascist state that is America today, where cops can use the taser anytime they
like, and we’re all under permanent surveillance; while “the rock” would be those
feral ultra-rightist types now contemplating, planning and/or urging violence against Obama/immigrants/blacks/gays/Jews and whoever else they see as threatening them.
It’s a lousy place to be; and there’s no getting out of it unless we face the fact that that
is where we are. So here are two pieces that concern the latter of those two dangers.
One is Glynn Wilson’s report from Alabama, where a certain far-right “libertarian,”
as he describes himself, has actually been taking credit for bricks lately hurled through
the window of a local Democratic Party headquarters. (That’s not terrorism?) The other
is a very smart take, by Melissa Harris-Lacewell, on the recent venomous display by the
Tea-Baggers massing on Capitol Hill in opposition to Obama’s health care bill.
As she notes learnedly, what we’re faced with here is not mere racism or homophobia,
but a vestigial strain of violent seditiousness, which certainly won’t go away if all we
do is close our eyes to it.
There Could Be An Armed Racist Brick Thrower Near You
by Glynn Wilson
Not Far From Here…
A Pinson, Alabama militia activist is not walking away from taking credit for
brick-throwing incidents at Democratic Party offices across the country this
weekend when protesters took to the streets against national health care reform
passed by the House and signed into law by the president on Tuesday.
Is this the Birth of a Nation?
by Melissa Harris-Lacewell
In response to the imminent passage of health care reform
protesters spat on Representative Emmanuel Cleaver. They
hurled homophobic obscenities at Representative Barney
Frank. They shouted racial slurs at Representative John
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.