From Marco Ugolini:
This waste of perfectly good food is obscene, of course; but we should go beyond the maudlin appeals to the “brotherhood of man,” etc., and note what goes unmentioned in this video: the fact that there’s a principle behind the practice of discarding what could feed the hungry multitudes: the principle that people will only get what they pay for.
It’s the preservation of the commercial spirit that the current system values above all else. It’s the very engine of private profit. Imagine what kind of ideas people would start getting in their heads if all of a sudden one no longer had to pay for absolutely EVERYTHING.
In my opinion, this is about maintaining as inviolable the fundamental notions of the market and its preeminence in our lives. The market matters more than people do. That’s what the otherwise admirable and very humane people in this documentary don’t seem to grasp.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.