First Shot: Ebert’s balcony scene
by Steve Schneider
OK, so I watched Oprah’s ballyhooed interview with Roger Ebert. And no matter what any of us might feel about the guy’s critical acumen or his pre-cancer professional persona, it’s hard not to be touched and inspired by his trip to the brink, and the triumphant walk back from it he seems to have made with the help of some very supportive and courageous loved ones.
The interview? Meh. Somebody needs to tell this alleged queen of compassion that just because a guest is staring back at you through eyes that only seem maniacally pronounced because cancer has turned his jaw into an unmoving Halloween mask, you do not have to speak to him as if he’s – well, as if he’s retarded. Every time she patronizingly leaped to pronounce Ebert’s every anecdote “a great story” — before his voice-emulation software was even done telling it — I found myself pining for the intellectual engagement of Tom Snyder.
Worse, as she did in her first Palin sit-down, the hostess once again proved herself fixated on Hallmark narratives and lifestyle issues – and either unwilling or unable to place those issues in a meaningful social context. Let’s be honest here: Love alone doesn’t save anybody from the kind of cancer this guy had. And at a time when the shocking unaffordability of health care is such a widely recognized epidemic, it would have been nice for someone to have acknowledged the simple truth that Roger Ebert is alive today largely because he’s Roger Ebert.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.