I’m sending/posting this opinion piece by Donna Brazile with a tart caveat about her.
On the one hand, she gets it (sort of) right, in this piece and elsewhere, about vote
suppression, which is indeed a major problem, as the GOP in many states has, through
many different tactics, turned the clock back to the days before the Civil Rights Act.
Such work has been enabled by the GOP’s vast propaganda drive against ACORN
and/or the spectre they call “voter fraud”–a pack of lies that has been largely parroted
by our compliant press. Thus the media has actually abetted the Republicans, by serving
as a megaphone for their loud, groundless argument in favor of more voter purges, ID
requirements, and other neo-Jim Crow measures. (All the more reason to step up the
pressure on the New York Times for refusing to retract its faulty coverage of James
O’Keefe’s fake video “exposé” of ACORN’s alleged criminality.)
So Donna Brazile (partly) “gets it” when it comes to vote suppression; but while she has
her eyes wide open on that front, she also has them tightly shut against the even greater
danger of election fraud–a problem that, inside her universe, does not exist. Her vision,
then, is badly skewed, since there can be no progress on the voting front unless those
fighting for it recognize the clear and present danger of computerized voting systems.
For one thing, vote suppression has itself been carried out not just through such old-
fashioned and explicit tricks as ID laws and legal voter purges, but, as well, through
the far simpler–and less perceptible–expedient of purging voters from the
rolls illegally, which, since all the US voter rolls are electronic nowadays, is just about
as easy as deleting emails. That’s just the kind of thing that Brazile would dismiss a mere
“conspiracy theory” (even though USA Today reported on it, in detail, two years ago),
and so her effort to “protect [the] voter gains of ‘Bloody Sunday'” is inadequate to start with.
And it’s all the weaker for the sad fact that election fraud can disenfranchise voters even
in a precinct where all eligible citizens have managed to get registered; although the surest
way to rig a contest is both to suppress the vote before Election Day, and then to change
the numbers electronically. That’s how it’s been working since 2000 (and how it worked
too in the last election–which Obama won, in fact, by a far larger margin than we’ve all been told).
And that’s how it will also work this year, unless we start to have a real discussion of this problem–which means that we must move beyond the blinkered vision of Brazile and other leading Democrats (including Pres. Obama), and start to face it not as partisans of either kind, but as the citizens of what once was–and what might be again–a promising democracy.
Protect voter gains of ‘Bloody Sunday’
By Donna Brazile, CNN Contributor
March 7, 2010 10:27 a.m. EST
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.