Here’s a comment from spongebob, re: AlterNet’s piece (which I sent out earlier) about the cops in Ft. Worth busting gays, Hispanics et al. for drinking in bars.
If this post is accurate, the AlterNet piece has some problems.
Uh, as most of y’all know, I live here in Texas and this story is really really old.
The three of the TABC officers involved were fired, the city of Ft. Worth officially apologized, and more of the senior TABC officers were disciplined. Read here:
I’m not sure what more the Alternet community would want done. Yes, these cops were redneck douchebags, but every state has those. Ever been to San Diego?
They weren’t really cops either, which is another thing. They’re Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission officers, which means they usually do stuff like permit enforcement for bars and check breweries and wineries for code compliance. Ft. Worth cops are usually really polite and helpful, as Ft. Worth is a very touristy area, and asshole cops tend to drive down revenue.
As far as the Irving thing, what the author isn’t telling you is that the deportation of illegal aliens wasn’t so much part of an Irving initiative, but was part of a Federal program.
We have all kinds of problems with the Federal government pushing ideas that don’t work down here. The border fence is a great example. Most Texans think the fence is a stupid idea. Let Arizona build one if they want to, but we know better. And we certainly don’t want to build fences over our state and national parks, like DHS wants. There’s lawsuits aplenty over that.
I think if Mr. Weinstein wants to write articles about Texas, maybe he should visit the place first. In Austin, Dallas, Houston or Ft. Worth, you can be brown, gay, gay and brown, and not run into problems like these, which are exceptions, not the rule.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.