Bruce Judson, author of It Could Happen Here: America on the Brink, will be speaking at the McNally Jackson Bookstore this Tuesday evening (March 2) at 7:00 p.m. I’ll be hosting the event.
McNally Jackson Bookstore
52 Prince St. (b/t Lafayette & Mulberry)
Here is the publisher’s Book Description:
In It Could Happen Here, Bruce Judson, author of Go It Alone!, explains why revolution is possible in the
United States-and makes the most disturbing case yet for why our economics are leading us inevitably
toward a just such a crisis. Underscoring the historically dangerous levels of inequality in our country today,
It Could Happen Here “will cause you to think about the risks for a nation divided between haves and have nots.” (Walter Isaacson)
The severe economic downturn has been blamed on many things: deregulation, derivatives, greedy borrowers, negligent lenders. But could there be a deeper problem that is so severe, so long-lasting, and so dangerous that it makes these problems look like minor swerves in the road? Could we be facing an existential challenge to the promise of America, and to our system of government?
Inequality in America has reached historical highs. Throughout human history, this level of disparity has
proven intolerable, almost always leading to political upheaval. Though many believe that America will never face a second revolution, that our politics are stable, in It Could Happen Here, Yale School of Management senior faculty fellow Bruce Judson makes the case that revolution is a real possibility here, driven by a thirty-year, unprecedented rise of inequality through six presidencies, three Fed chairmen, three recessions, and many years of expansion.
The last time inequality rivaled current levels was in 1928, just before the Crash and the Great Depression. Today we are in worse shape, divided into a tiny plutocracy of super-rich, on the one hand, and a fragile, indebted, unprotected “former middle class” on the other. As Judson shows, revolutions can occur suddenly,
as happened with the Soviet Union’s 1991 dissolution, and America today exhibits the central precursors to a collapse-extreme economic inequality and an increasingly impoverished middle class. He makes the most disturbing case yet for why our economics are leading us inevitably toward a devastating crisis. When Franklin Roosevelt faced a similar situation, he was saved by World War II. This time, the conflict may be at home, not abroad.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.