Who are the actual “crazy” people in American politics?
By Glenn Greenwald
My Salon colleague, Mark Benjamin, writes about last night’s Larry King Show — featuring a debate between Democratic Rep. Alan Grayson and GOP Rep. Michelle Bachmann — and does so by repeatedly branding Grayson as being every bit as “crazy” as Bachmann. Beginning with the article’s headline (“Bachmann and Grayson: A diary of crazy”) to his sarcastic description of “these two towering intellects” to his claim that Grayson and Bachmann are “the Candy Stripers of Crazy of their parties,” Benjamin denigrates Grayson’s intellect and mental health by depicting him — with virtually no cited basis — as the Democratic mirror image of Bachmann’s rabid, out-of-touch extremism. This view of Grayson has become a virtual Washington platitude, solidified by The New York Times’ David Herszenhorn’s dismissal of Grayson as “the latest incarnation of what in the American political idiom is known as a wing nut.”
One Comment to “Addled by the creed of “balance,” Salon pundit calls Alan Grayson “crazy””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.