In all the hoopla over Sunday’s big win for the Democrats, let us not forget that ACORN
finally fell on that same day–done in by the right, which wields enormous clout throughout
“the liberal media,” and which is not about to lose it just because Obama scored a major
legislative coup against the GOP.
This is not the first time that the right has used the media to vent its propaganda. As
Robert Parry points out here, much the same thing happened to Dan Rather, who was
obligingly destroyed by his own network for having dared to look into George Bush’s
scandalous military record (a record that the media otherwise obligingly ignored).
And there are countless other instances of “our” press picking up and amplifying rightist
spin (Al Gore’s “lies,” the Swift Boat myth, Democratic “voter fraud,” etc., etc.) and
clamming up on subjects that the right wants people not to know about (Don Siegelman’s
ordeal, Sarah Palin’s Christianist extremism, the theocratic faction in the US military, Mike
Connell’s hand in BushCo’s “victories” at the polls, and his untimely death, etc., etc.–
and that’s the least of what should be, but isn’t, in the news).
The list is long. What does it tell us? First of all, it tells us that the right is hardly finished,
notwithstanding Sunday’s victory, because it still maintains a hammerlock on our “free
press”–and still controls the levers of our voting system (so to speak: there being
no levers in our voting system any more). Both of those advantages will surely help
them this November, by enabling many weak Republicans to “win” outright, and/or
by lessening the victory margins of a lot of Democrats, thereby depriving them of
any “mandate” (as “the liberal media” will helpfully point out as often as it can).
So there’s a warning for us all. And here also is a more constructive point. As Parry
and David Swanson note below, what ACORN’s fate, and all those Big Lies winningly
put over by the media, should make clear is that we need a vastly stronger independent
media. And what this ultimately means is that we must have sweeping democratic media
reform in the United States, or else the US will be finished as a democratic country–
done in, just like ACORN, by the far right and its “liberal” helpers in the corporate press.
NYT Admits Getting Duped on ACORN
By Robert Parry
March 21, 2010
The New York Times admits, sort of, that it got duped by right-wing propagandists who appear to have succeeded in a plot to destroy ACORN, an organization that has aided and defended the poor and powerless across the United States for four decades.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.