Here’s a sign that the NYTimes is waking up to the grave danger of computerized voting, although they have a ways to go.
The problem isn’t any lack of “robust competition.” How could it be? First of all, there really never was much “competition” in the e-vote/e-vote-counting business–and there really wasn’t any when, essentially, Diebold and ES&S divided up the territory, since those two juggernauts were Siamese twins. They were originally one company, founded by the Christinist brothers Bob and Todd Urosevich (who still wield corporate power today).
Moreover–and more important–elections are a vital civic exercise, not an economic matter that requires a market-based solution. We rule ourselves (or ought to) as voters, not consumers. The problem with ES&S, therefore, is surely not that that colossus hogs “the market,” although it is indeed grotesque, and dangerous, to have one private company run our national elections.
The problem, rather, is that America’s elections have been privatized, whether it’s one company or four, or six, that runs the show–and, indeed, “a show” is all it is, because that company, and all its peers, deploy a wholly non-transparent, easily manipulated electronic system, which makes it quite impossible for anyone to tell if the results of our elections are legitimate or not. (Those companies, moreover, are not honest brokers
but intensely partisan concerns, owned and managed by right-wing Republicans.)
What we need, then, isn’t “robust competition” in the field of electronic voting and vote-counting. What we need is to BAN SUCH VOTING NATIONWIDE, IN FAVOR OF A NATIONAL RETURN TO PAPER BALLOTS, WHICH MUST BE HAND-COUNTED. We also need to BAN PRIVATE COMPANIES FROM ALL PARTICIPATION IN OUR VOTING PROCESS.
I hope I’ve made myself clear. The time, in short, has come to repeal the disastrous (and frighteningly misnamed) Help America Vote ACT (HAVA), and start anew.
Tell the Times, in 150 words or less: Letters@nytimes.com.
The Voters Will Pay
It was bad news for the voting public when Election Systems and Software, the nation’s largest voting machine company, announced last fall that it was acquiring the elections division of Diebold, the nation’s second-largest voting machine company.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.